Selectmen’s Minutes, August 23, 2012



August 23, 2012


Selectmen present:  Neil Davis, Colby Pert, Victor Smith


Also present:  Nelson Grindal, Charlie Wiggins, Fred Marston,  Bangor Daily News reporter Mario Moretto, Packet reporter Faith de Ambrose, Pam Johnson, Danny Weed, Tax Collector Belinda Pert, Treasurer Cindy Reilly, Road Commissioner Paul Carter, Assistant Barbara Grindle.


1)         Minutes of the last meeting read and approved.


2)         Signed the Treasurer’s warrant for $58,156.41; school expenses were $54,147.42.


3)         Marston expressed sadness that CEO Ford has resigned.  Assessing agent Caldwell reported no change in the valuation of the 4 Winds property, meaning that the buildings are still more than 50% wasted.  The Appeals Board chairman (Marston) and the 2 members of the appeals board present had questions for the selectmen.  They would like to see a declaratory judgment to settle this matter.  The selectmen have an appointment next week to talk with the town’s attorney.  Johnson wanted to know why the selectmen haven’t had the attorney prosecuting the case before this.  She also doesn’t think that the members of the appeals board have had a chance to express their opinion.  Marston feels that they have been ignored and asked to stay away from the meetings.   Grindal asked if an engineer would be of help to establish the value of the steel foundation compared to cedar posts and concrete pads.

4)         Grindal asked about the bridge to the swimming area at Walker Pond.  The design is done and the permit is here, and the next step is to consult with Basil Bowden to see if he is able to build it.

5)         The selectmen have a meeting with Attorney Jim Patterson at 10:30 am on August 29.  Pert made a motion to go into executive session at the Ellsworth meeting.  Smith seconded.  Vote 2-0.  (Davis absent)

6)         The motion was made and seconded for a Moratorium Ordinance.  Vote 2-0.

There being no further business, the meeting was adjourned at 7:15 pm.

                        Victor Smith, 3rd Selectman

Note:  Davis left the meeting at about 6:45.  The next day we discovered that he had suffered  a slight heart attack and drove himself to the emergency room in Blue Hill.  He was scheduled to be transferred to EMMC Sunday afternoon.  He is in the care of Dr. Dennis Desilvey, the health officer of the Town of Sedgwick while in Blue Hill.