Selectmen’s Meeting, November 18, 2021

November 11, 2021

Opened the meeting and established a quorum present. Selectmen present: Ben Astbury, Bob Publicover, Michael Sheahan. Also present: CEO Duane Ford, Fire Chief David Carter, Assistant Barbara Grindle, Jerry Wetterskog, Donna Benaniti, Christine diPretoro.
Publicover reported that due to health and personal reasons he will not be running for another term as selectman. He thanked the board and staff and has enjoyed working with them for the last several years.
There being no errors or omissions in the records of the last meeting, moved, seconded and voted 2-0-1 (Astbury) to accept them as written.
Reviewed and signed the treasurer’s warrant for $264,456.79: education $262,720.98, administration $174.81, fire protection $147, legal $600, general assistance $119, fees $76, clearing/mv $619.
CEO REPORT: Owner of the Black’s Pond property has letter from DEP to move his building back from the shore; Planning Board last Tuesday discussed the application for an addition to the Ridge Road cell tower, will ask for more information on the original application and a $2,500 application fee; they are following up on changes to the Shoreland Zoning Ordinance to include the state requirement of the before and after photos and changes in lot sizes from 30,000 sq. ft. to 40,000 sq. ft. and voted to recommend the changes to the selectboard. Still working on changes to the Site Plan Ordinance.
FIRE CHIEF REPORT: Pretty quiet as far as calls go, did an interview with WERU on volunteers, or lack of same; have an appointment with the budget committee Monday evening, may need to raise the fire department budget figure due to increased fuel costs, the fire truck loan has been paid off, would like to increase the reserve amount $10-15,000; the agreement with Deer Isle and Stonington is working well; open fire burning permits are free, but must get them on line. Discussion on Fire Equipment Reserve figure, agreed on a graduated figure starting at $5,000 if agreed to by the budget committee.
DISCUSSION ITEMS: 1) Discussion of Improvements to Town House – The handicap ramp at the back of the building is slippery and covered with leaves. It may need a concrete ramp or possibly a ramp all the way from the parking area. Sheahan will look at it.
2) RBAC Board of Directors nominees – Brooklin has appointed 2 selectmen and 1 member from the public to their portion of the board. Discussed having the same for Sedgwick’s portion, nominated Astbury and Sheahan from selectboard and Donna Beninati as a member of the public.
3) Any Unresolved Business – a) Sheahan reported that he has not heard from Borreggo since a phone conversation last week. He will follow up.
b) Astbury reported that the Regional meeting went well, several areas discussed including workforce housing and short term rentals. Will meet quarterly starting in January.
ACTION ITEMS: Moved, seconded and voted to appoint Donna Beninati, Michael Sheahan and Ben Astbury to the RBAC (Rural Broadband Access Corporation) Board of Directors from Sedgwick.
ADDISTANT’S REPORT: The disbursements report has gone to the Budget Committee and they are planning to meet via free conference call Monday evening at 5 p.m.
PUBLIC COMMENTS: diPretoro asked about the Town Dock and was told that it has been finished except for replanting the bank which will have to wait until spring. She also asked about notifying companies that want donations. The Social Service papers are on the website and anyone asking will be told to download them and get them before December 31. Beninati thanked the selectmen for the opportunity to keep on with the broadband committee.
ADJOURN: Adjourned the meeting at 6:55 p.m.

Respectfully submitted,
Barbara Grindle, Assistant