Selectmen’s Meeting, July 29, 2021



July 29, 2021

Opened the meeting and declared a quorum present.  Selectmen present:  Ben Astbury, Bob Publicover, Michael Sheahan.  Also present:  CEO Duane Ford, Clerk/treasurer Cindy Reilly, Road Commissioner Paul Carter, Assistant Barbara Grindle, Don Buckingham, Desmond Ashman, Christine di Pretoro, (by phone) Jeffrey Roth, Kate Tompkins, Jerry Wetterskog.


Moved, seconded and voted 3-0 to approve the minutes of the last meeting with one change.


Reviewed and signed the treasurer’s warrant for $4,420.74:  town office $60, fire protection $30, road signs $200, administration $300.85, clearing/v $2,189.93, fees $207, roads $1,600, town office repair $12.98.


CEO REPORT:  Inspected the location of a septic system on Carter Point,; Cyr’s septic approval waiting for a copy of the report; Rossney planning for 2 power stations for electric cars; landowner on Black’s Pond needs to remove float over the brook, Peasley pouring cement for a camp and a float on Black’s Pond, communicating with Planning Board on parking issues at Strong Brewery, State says that Planning Board needs to have photos  before and after jobs done in the shoreland zone; harbormaster pulled a boat into the town dock before it sank


DISCUSSION ITEMS: 1)  Don Buckingham – Sedgwick Library Event – Notifying the selectmen that they wish to block off the road in front of the Library on August 11 for a fundraising event featuring Paul Sullivan, with a silent auction.  Approved by fire chief, next step consulting with the sheriff’s department.

2)  Speed issues on Reach Road –  The detour has put a lot of pressure on the roads, especially Reach Road, Old County and Rout 172.  Speed is a big problem.  There are slow speed signs at intersections and the town speed trailer is in Sargentville.  Setting up a meeting with DOT, but we need more enforcement.  Suggested that we contract with the sheriff’s department for officers to monitor at $65/hr in 4 hour shifts.  Astbury will contact sheriff, hope to get help as soon as possible, staffing may be a problem.  Please call the sheriff’s department and/or the state police to report any problems.

3)  Remote Board Meeting Discussion (cont.) – Need public hearing of a policy on running and conducting a remote meeting. Astbury presented a draft policy.  Clerk will post a hearing notice at the usual places and on the website for August 12 at 7 p.m.

4)  Any Unresolved Business –  a)  Eggemogggin Baptist Church would like to use the ballfield for a VBS program.  Permission given, assistant will call them tomorrow.

b)  Ashman and Carter discussed some town landing tarring.  Ashman to check specifics with the Marine Resources Committee, CEO to check with DEP, Carter hope to have tarring done while road tarring is scheduled.    Committee would like to have more lights, rubber around the floats. The work to the water should not interfere with the work of the stabilization project.

c)  Strong Brewery business down 75% because of the detour.  Wondering about relief programs.

d)  Astbury reported on the GSA proposal meeting with six of the seven towns represented.  A good discussion on the proposed contract which the representatives of the towns will take back to the superintendents, selectboards and schoolboards for more discussion.


PUBLIC COMMENTS:  Tompkins thanked the selectmen for placing the speed trailer in Sargentville.  She is encouraging her neighbors to send emails, make calls; they are seeing a little more police presence.

diPretoro wondered about a special detail to monitor speed traffic.  She will take care of mowing the corner and is watching the trees around the Town House for damage and trimming.


ADJOURN:    Moved, seconded and voted 3-0 to adjourn the meeting at 7:34 p.m.

Respectfully submitted,

Barbara Grindle, Assistant