Selectmen’s Meeting, January 20, 2022



January 20, 2022


Opened the meeting and declared a quorum present.  Selectmen present:  Ben Astbury, Bob Publicover, Michael Sheahan.  Also present:  Assistant Barbara Grindle, CEO Duane Ford, Clerk/treasurer Cindy Reilly, Fire Chief David Carter, Christine diPretoro, (by phone Jerry Wetterskog, Jeffrey Roth, Walter Binger.


There being no errors or omissions in the records of the last meeting, moved, seconded and voted 3-0 to accept them as written.


Reviewed and signed the treasurer’s warrant for $135,031.64:  education $124,989.43; legal $300; animal welfare $42; fire protection $31.11; administration $9,669.50.


CEO REPORT:  Filling forms, noticing new rebuilds, doing septic inspections.  Questions about activity on Caterpillar Hill, (none yet), zoning on Means Hill (no); the Planning Board is looking to do some pro-active planning; an owner on Black’s Pond will ask DEP to give advice on where he can build; will check with the state regarding recertification of shoreland contractors in the area.


FIRE CHIEF REPORT:  The annual meeting was held on Jan. 10, later found that 2 attendees were positive for Covid, they have quarantined for 5 days, but fire department is going remote for a while.  Called to Deer Isle High School for smoke in the building, found a frozen pipe and there is smoke and water damage.  Toned out for an accident on Caterpillar Hill, two vehicles and the fire truck in the ditch because of the icy conditions.  The road was closed for 5 hours until the road was sanded and the vehicles were towed.  There was little damage to the fire truck, but having Colwell’s give it a good inspection.  One person injured in one of the other vehicles.


DISCUSSION ITEMS:  1)  Pat Egan – Pat was not here.

2)  Walter Binger – Binger checking in for information for a petition for marijuana retailing at Town Meeting.  He will have time to collect signatures and perfect the language for the petition with the business portion of town meeting being held later than the elections.  Will stay in contact.

3)  Any Unresolved Business – None.

4)  Budget Workshop – Started to do the budget, waiting for figures.  Budget Committee will be in for the meeting next week.






PUBLIC COMMENTS:  DiPretoro asked if there had been a formal meeting re: working with the area towns and GSA.  Not yet.

Wetterskog said thank you to the select board, they don’t get enough recognition for the work they do.


ADJOURN:  There being no further business, moved, seconded and voted 3-0 to adjourn the meeting at 7:27 p.m.


Respectfully submitted,

Barbara Grindle, Assistant