Selectmen’s Minutes, November 19, 2020

November 19.2020

Opened the meeting and established a quorum present. Selectmen present: Ben Astbury, (by phone Bob Publicover, Michael Sheahan). Also present: CEO Duane Ford, Assistant Barbara Grindle, (by phone Jerry Wetterskog, Jeffrey Roth, Christine diPretoro).

There being no errors or omissions in the records of the last meeting, moved, seconded and roll call voted 3-0 to accept them as written.

Reviewed and signed the Treasurer’s warrant for $2,491.70; general assistance $915.86, streetlights $121.25, town house $11.24, town office $82.74, fire protection $158.25, office equipment $350, sludge $165, fees $70, clearing:m/v $553, administration $64.36.

CEO REPORT: Doing paperwork for several properties in Sedgwick; toured the Silvermine property, may wish to redo the top of one of the boathouses, planning a new dock for which they will need a Planning Board permit; a taxpayer was told he could remove dead trees in the shoreland but try to keep the stumps and plan to replant; another wishes to remove dead trees, grind the stumps but must do some replanting. CEO very appreciative of the support of the selectmen in the work he must do. (Selectmen appreciate the work he does, not only as CEO, but his help with the Planning Board.)

DISCUSSION ITEMS: Town Meeting/Election Discussion: Under the COVID restrictions, we have to plan on how to handle town meeting elections and warrant articles. There seem to be 3 options: 1) postpone the meeting, 2) ask by referendum for approval of the warrant, 3) have no ‘normal’ meeting.
Must have 100 days for nomination papers; starting November 25 nominations papers are available for selectman, overseer of the poor, assessor for a 3-year term, tax collector for a 3-year term, and 2 school board members, each for a 3-year term. Decisions need to be made as soon as possible because ballots need to be printed and deadlines met. Possible public hearings in certain conditions. Sheahan: A postponement might be best, audits could be done, budget done, warrant articles written. Books don’t close until June 31. Publicover: How did Blue Hill do theirs? It had been postponed twice. Astbury: Will check with Blue Hill to see if it would work for us.
Any Unresolved Business: Publicover: Call from the town’s Health Officer-he didn’t know what was happening at ECS. Will check with CDC to find out what they should be doing, and what they are doing. Would like to be kept in the loop regarding any future problems.
Astbury, and others from the 3-town transfer committee, met with the Blue Hill/Surry Transfer Committee. Had a very productive meeting, and will meet again in a few weeks.
Astbury and a representive from the school board, met with the committee from GSA and their sending towns and also had a very productive meeting. They will meet again in December. This committee will discuss tuition issues among other subjects regarding education in the areas represented.
This evening the 3-town transfer committee met and discussed the Blue Hill/Surry meeting.

PUBLIC COMMENTS: Once again, Wetterskog expressed appreciation for the selectmen and the work they are putting in on town business. diPretoro agreed that it cannot be mentioned enough.

ADJOURN: There being no further business, moved, seconded and roll call voted 3-0 to adjourn the meeting at 7:05 p.m.

Respectfully submitted,
Barbara Grindle, Assistant