Selectmen’s Meeting, February 18, 2021



February 18, 2021


Opened the meeting and established a quorum present.  Selectmen present:  Ben Astbury (by phone Bob Publicover, Michael Sheahan).  Also present:  Assistant Barbara Grindle (by phone CEO Duane Ford, Jeffrey Roth, Butler Smythe, Donna Beninati, Jerry Wetterskog).


There being no errors or omissions in the records of the last meeting, moved, seconded and roll

call voted 3-0 to approve them as written.


Reviewed and signed the treasurer’s warrant for $210,544.41:  general assistance $319,

streetlights $107.77, town house $15.53, town office $110.58, fire protection $430.89, animal control

$125, administration $332.98, fees $110, clearing/mv $1,566, school $207,406.66.


CEO REPORT:  A fairly quiet week, people looking to buy a property beside a small stream

(Keefe’s Brook); brook is in stream protection and would require a 75’ setback; discussed a permit for

the Snow’s Cove Culvert project with the coordinator.


DISCUSSION ITEMS:  1)  Snow Plow Issue-Joyce Anderson/Polka Valley – The plowing is not

being done all the way to the last two homes, Astbury will discuss with the snow contractor.  He will also discuss several other complaints of road/snow issues.

2)  Budget discussion – Assistant will provide summary and format to for selectmen to study, will discuss the budget next week, and hope to have budget committee involved the next week.

3)  Efficiency Maine Offer.  John Gray really busy, will check with other electricians to get information on possible heat pumps for the town office.

4)  Broadband Communications Committee Discussion –  Beninati willing to chair a committee to investigate broadband combining the former PUB committee and a new committee to become a Broadband Communications Committee.  Publicover, Wetterskog and Smythe are willing to be part of the committee.  Will check with other former members of the PUB committee for volunteers.

5)  Any Unresolved Business – Our firewall is due for renewal, Compusult recommends that we stay with it; Animal Control Officer would like to discuss a stipend rather than hour and mileage pay because of documentation paperwork, will discuss in budget talks next week; Versant power discussion regarding limitations of solar power integrations, both commercial and residential, current substation is at capacity.


ACTION ITEMS:  Officially moved, seconded and roll call voted 3-0 to create a Broadband Communications Committee.


ASSISTANT’S REPORT:  Working on the Annual Town Report and the budget.




ADJOURN:  There being no further business, moved, seconded and roll call voted 3-0 to adjourn the meeting at 6:53 p.m.


Respectfully submitted,

Barbara Grindle, Assistant